Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Distractions


When ever life seems to be rushing at me at full speed I like to step out of it's path and into a book. I love the feel of being somewhere Else, even though I am sitting in my living room with 2 toddlers running in circles and yelling in joy! I just finished a Christian book by Robin Lee Hatcher about forgiveness. A young woman has an affair with an older man, unaware that he is married with a young son. When she finds out she breaks it off and leaves the state to lick her wounds. The mans wife finds out and he leaves and never looks back. The woman and her son struggle for years with the bitterness and hatred, going as far as changing their last names and even the sons first name at his request. The son finds solace in God after a few years as does the young woman, but it takes the mother many years. At this point the young woman and boy meet, he is 24 she is 31 and fall in love. They feel that God has brought them together, that they are meant for each other but neither knowing how their lives intertwine. At last the young woman and mother meet and realize in that instant, over a photograph on the mantle just who they all are.

The weird thing is, that in God's forgiveness the boy and young woman find they still love each other, even though she lost her virginity to his father and never slept with anyone else. She was consumed by the betrayal of this man she loved for years, and only in the last 4 years come to terms with and was able to begin moving on. The Mother had held on to her hatred and had never really let it go. She blamed this young woman. The boy, so young still, believed that love could and would conquer all. They all believed that they could forget. I do not believe I could ever sleep with anyone that had slept with my mother. I mean eewwww. The book was a wonderful example of forgiveness but I think it may have gone a little out of the realms of reality on that point. But it sure let me leave behind my financial woes!


0 comments: