There are somethings about growing up I remember in great detail but most of it I don't remember at all. I remember standing in my neighbors back yard making up a dance routine to the song, "Stop. In the name of love, before you break my heart." Candi and I would stand back there for hours doing dance routines! Or waking up one morning, petrified cause it was late and I needed to get to school. I jumped up and got dressed and ran out the door. I was in the 4th grade maybe. Anyways I get to Candi's house and my dad and her dad, Ralph, are standing out front and her dad tells me she is staying home because she is sick so I walked to school by myself and when I get to the school I stand there in the wind staring at the closed gates. It was April 1st and dad and Ralph had a great laugh at my expense!
I remember leaning down in my bedroom one evening and catching the corner of my eye on my old, small, blocky, black and white TV. Taking mom and dad's advice I told everyone at school I got into a fight and the other guy looked a lot worse then me! I remember sitting against the wall of the school buildings and reading during recess while the other kids played all around me, and buying my mom a ceramic cat for Christmas at the school store when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I remember more from high school but the things that really get to me are the elementary school memories.
Since Dylan is in school I am thinking back more and more to my elementary school years. I remember playing in the gym/cafeteria on rainy days. Reciting Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" for a talent show. Sitting in the gym/ cafeteria listening to people talk about conserving water and handing out new shower heads for school. Playing in the school band in the 5th grade. I played the flute and the the screw that held the bar to my buttons onto my flute was stripped and kept coming out so half of my performances where pretending to play because the screw would come loose and I would have to hold the bar in place and so couldn't do any fingering.
I also remember rainy and windy day's where we watched movies instead of going out for recess. One movie that comes to mind is "Le Ballon Rouge" or The Red Balloon. It was a Parisian short film, 34 minutes and follows a boy who has found this red balloon and goes wandering the streets of Paris. I never understood why we had to watch it, it was very uninteresting, but I did remember it so I thought I would see if I could find it. There must be something to it if I remembered it all these years. So I found it on YouTube this morning:
Unfortunately I was just as bored as I was back in elementary school.
What do you remember from your school days??
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
School days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment