Tuesday, April 21, 2009

KIndergarten

Well I got word today that the superintendent of schools has set the cut off for Kindergarten at Oct 1st. Since Deven's birthday is Oct 22nd that means that they are not letting him start kindergarten next year like we had hoped.

California's cut off date is Dec 3rd. 23 state3 have a cut off date of Sept first. Indiana's official cut off date is Aug 1st. As you can see the superintendent has some lee way for the cut off date. Indiana's in the earliest cut off date in the nation! I thought that the earlier kids were taught the better being that their brains were still developing and the early years were a great time to start teaching because of the rate in which they learn.

Deven has been volunteering at the school with me all year and he has done a 180 in personality since we got here. He is outgoing and confident. He plays well with kids. I know as the kids get older they become more outgoing, but this is so far beyond how he was. Even as Dylan got more confident and outgoing it was never as prominent as Deven's change. Deven has bloomed. Most of the teachers at the school seem to take it for granted that he is going there next year. He is so helpful. He loves to be at the school. He loves that the kids know him and want to play with him and talk to him. He talks to people now. Even before we moved, he always hid behind my leg and only talked to people after he had seen them a number of times. Now he will say hi and talk to the teachers and other parents. He wants to go to school. He is so excited at the idea of going to school.

The principal was very sweet when she told me and I understand where they are coming from but I know he is ready. I was looking forward to him going there next year, while he was still comfortable at the school, remembered the school. He is now going to have a whole year where he won't step foot there. Preschool is expensive and only 3 hours a day. We are struggling as it is and trying to find a part time job that is 2 and a half hours of work a day so I can drop off Deven and pick him up is going to be nearly impossible but we can't afford it any other way.

I am going to talk to the Super, get a coherent argument together and go in and have him meet Deven. I am not giving up yet!

2 comments:

Jenilee said...

awww hun im sorry!!! Im sorry i signed off earlier! My yahoo decided to freeze up on me and it booted me off and I didn't even know :( I had to reinstall it too! DANG YAHOO!!!!

Mama Z said...

That's a bummer! I don't understand why schools bounce around on when to start kids in school. They do tests for everything else you'd think they would have National tests on the best time to start kids in school. I can tell you I went to school in IN and the cut off was around Mid-September. My b-day is early Sept. and I started school at 4 and was the youngest in my class. It was MISERABLE for me the first 6 years and always felt like I was behind. Then something changed and I made all A's and B's. I think it was just too early for me to start. I think each kid is different. Good luck with talking to the school!