I adore thunder storms. I love the crash and bang and the roll of the thunder and the bright brilliance of the lightening! Tonight we are having a doozy of a storm. I have seen one worse since we have been here but it was in the middle of the day and everything looks safer in the middle of the day!
I was sitting here trying to re-do my AOL toolbar for my favorite websites, they were all deleted once again for no reason, (stupid AOL), when I hear this high pitched whining. I thought maybe it was a tornado warning but it didn't sound right.I have heard a few tornado sirens and this was more like feed back from a stereo, just longer. SO I started walking through the rooms up stairs and caught the tail end of the whine in the bathroom. From that window the sound was clear. Definitely a tornado warning! Once I made that clear the wind started to pick up and you could hear it whistling along the eves of the house. The rain started to fall in little pitter patters and slowly increased till you couldn't tell the difference in the wind and the rain. As I started to leave the bathroom I heard a craack, BOOM, rumble and the whole bathroom lit up like it was the middle of the day! The storm had started!
I listened to the sounds of the storm for a few minutes as I was texting Tim telling him what the situation was. I have to admit my heart beat was up a couple of beats as I realized that 1) the boys and I are upstairs with no Daddy home to help my carry them down if we have to, 2) they are in just underwear because it was so warm and humid tonight and 3) the only candle I have upstairs is a Violet scented candle whose sent is really strong and tends to give me a headache! Not a great combo!
We lost satellite reception so I could not watch the news, thankfully my stolen Internet seems to be holding up quite well! I went to Weather.com and checked the warnings and watched the interactive weather map to see where the storm was headed and see how long the worst part of the storm would be. Its moving at 50 miles and hour so we have passed the worst part and about 30 minutes after it was issued the tornado warning was cancelled. The wind and rain still rage outside and it sounds like someone is rinsing the side of the house with a huge hose. The thunder is loud and rumbles for a few seconds but is growing fainter by the minute and the lightening is sporadic at best. Every 5 minutes or so we get a terrific boom that shakes the house and the rain pelts down a little harder, Mother nature just letting us know she is still in control.
I LOVE IT!!! Even if it is a little bit scary, thinking of the kids and all ;)
Monday, August 4, 2008
Thunder Storms
Posted by Tim and Jen at 23:54
Labels: adventures, nature, storms
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment